Thursday, April 20, 2023

Ask 8-Year Old You

I am so happy to come home every day. This is a relatively new feeling and I’ve been pondering that a lot lately. 

I chose to rent this house because it felt right. It was a gut-feeling, not one of my usual overly-calculated decisions. The house has character and land and it made me remember a picture I drew when I was 8 years old. At school, we were prompted to draw our perfect home.  In hindsight, I recognize that most people drew their human family because that’s what they associated with home. Instead, I drew the inside and outside of a house that was centered on me and animals. As I got older, I assumed I’d find a life partner before I hit the ripe old age of 20, and we’d both settle into this animal-centered life and spend our days sitting on the front porch, talking and drinking lemonade with our dogs and spend the nights by a fire, reading our respective books and just enjoying each other’s existence in silence. 

I didn’t find that person at the young age, nor did I have that sanctuary life very early on. Things were chaotic for a few decades but now the waters have stilled and I feel peace. The one thing that’s surprised me most about it is that it wholly comes from within. Once it’s taken root, it grows to fill every little nook and begins to overflow to the surroundings…. But it really does come from within. 

8 year old me knew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mask Off

 Sometime around 2018, a much younger colleague asked me if I was autistic.  Being raised in the 80s, I had a very specific idea of what aut...